looks innocent, doesn't it?
Or at very least, harmless.
But that is not the truth.
When provoked.....
This can is
vicious
savage
Bloodthirsty even.
Yesterday around noon
Ezra was making his way around the house
and found himself
inspecting the bag of recycling in the kitchen
when he had a very unfortunate encounter
with this particular can.
What started as a simple inspection
of the can and its still attached lid
ended with a panicky toddler screaming in pain.
I ran to his aide and found Ezra's tiny inquisitive finger
had become stuck between the sharp lid and the side of the can
I tried my best to get it out without cutting him
but in the midst of his frantic flailing,
Ezra violently pulled his finger out
and the can fought back
by cutting deep into his finger.
There was blood and there was fierce wailing.
I did my best to not lose my wits or pass out.
As soon as I took a good look at it
I knew we were headed for stitches.
Surprisingly enough,
in my 15+ years of mothering
none of the fab five have ever needed stitches
(don't get me wrong,
we have had our fair share
of traumatic childhood injuries and trips to the ER
just not for stitches).
A quick(and flustered) call to the doctor's office
and Ezra and I were on our way to visit our pediatrician.
By the time we got there
Ezra,
who had cried for almost an hour straight at this point,
calmed down and was his normal and delightful self
(as long as you ignored the part where his clothes were covered in blood
and his hand was wrapped in a bloody dish towel).
The doctor took one look at the finger
and agreed that stitches were in order.
They moved us to another room
and had the nurse apply a numbing gel to his finger.
After a while they came back
and strapped Ezra down onto a papoose board(i.e. baby torture device).
Before Ezra could protest, the nurse handed me a shiny red lollipop.
I quickly offered the candy to Ezra.
Once the sweet sugary treat hit his lips
he really had no problem with being strapped down
(or the fact that he still had an open wound for that matter).
For the next 30 minutes
(while the doctor cleaned, poked and sewed Ezra's little lacerated finger)
Ezra happily sucked on his lollipop
stopping only occasionally to flirt with the pretty nurses
who were taking turns entertaining the boy by talking to him sweetly
and blowing a a colorful pinwheel in front of his face.
When it looked like the lollipop
was not going to last the length of the procedure
I started to panic and a nurse quickly brought two more.
By the end of the process,
Ezra had 3 stitches in his tiny finger,
was all bandaged up
and was onto his third lollipop.
Thanks to the magical powers of candy
and the hypnotizing skills of nurses with pinwheels,
Ezra never cried once during the process of getting the stitches.
Today Ezra seems good as new.
He doesn't even seem to mind the finger being bandaged up.
He has also learned a new word......
3 comments:
Great photo-journal! He's such a cute kid!! And ya know, there's a scientific reason for sugar causing the brain to send out pain-numbing endorphins, but I'm not smart enough to tell you about it.
ugh -- the papoose board!!! 2 of my kids have been strapped to it - not pretty. But, necessary... The suckers were a BRILLIANT idea!! I will have to remember that one for our next (I know there will be a next) trip to the ER. Glad to see that Ezra is doing fine! :)
Awesome family, Im Jealous. Love the stories.
http://thaichickenbuffalo.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment