This photo feels like a memory to me.
Or maybe
it just makes me hope
for a memory to come from it.
It was taken just a couple of weeks ago
so it's still fresh in my mind.
my kids and my niece
all being corralled
and forced(against their will)
to take a group photo
for their grandmother's birthday present.
Someday
they will be grown.
Will they remember that moment?
Falling over each other
and fighting
over who would get to be in the tree.....
or who would be the one to hold Ezra.
Will they remember me shouting,
"If the baby can hold still and smile....
than WHY
for the love of all things good
can't the rest of you
hold still and smile?!"?
Will they remember the part
where I refused to give them dessert
until we had at least one good shot?
Will they recall
the cool summer breeze
and the way it felt
against their browned skin
fresh from a week of 100 plus degree days?
Will they remember
the tune
to the songs
they were singing to each other (as loud as they could)
or the words
to those ridiculous knock knock jokes?
What will they see in this photo
10,
20,
30
years from now?
Will they shriek in horror at the clothes they wore?
Will they remember
Will they smile
when they recall how much they loved
that scraggily tree?
And who will they be?
So strange to think of this photo
as the past
and not the present.
But it will be.
I hope it will reminds them
of sweet summer days
and the beautiful chaos
that they swirl round in each day.
The ridiculous jokes,
the elaborate games,
the endless adventures
that come with growing up
together
in this place.
4 comments:
that is awesome.
beautifully awesome.
ooo... I love this post. :) We do a "cousin picture" every year. It's so fun for me (and the kids) to look back and remember what was going on when it was taken. Good stuff!
Will I read this poetic post and remember all the events that led up to it this day, which caused this post to push me over the emotional and nostalgic edge into a swirly-headed puddle of tears? ;)
I second Sarah: beautifully awesome!
Hey sweet friend,
you've been on my mind this week with school starting, middle school starting and the like...then you came up again in conversation from your beautiful Advent giving story from last year and I had to read it for myself, but first I had to read this and as always so enjoy your voice in your writing and your gift for drawing people into a moment with you.
I also have something rather random and hilarious to ask you to be a part of, having to do with Focus on the Family...are you laughing yet??
I'll email ya...
much love,
Jeanne
Post a Comment